Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Be Cautious of Being a Copycat



I've bumped into several women in person or online who feel God has called them to write a book. Often, their desired subject matter is their life story.  The manuscript they are working on often ends up being a memoir of sorts.  Or it reads like a Christian devotional.

A trait I sometimes see is women copying the voice of published authors they've read.  They may not do it intentionally.  I know I often write similar to a couple of authors myself at times.  Nevertheless, it's important to examine our writing to see if we've been mimicking popular authors. 

If it is detected that you're copying someone else's voice, your work may not have the believability you want it to have.  For instance, one writer I followed in the 90s used the terms blessed one or dear throughout her books. Very few authors can get away with that.

Well-published authors such as this one mentioned above, have an existing platform.  Their voice works for them because of their platform.  

Be cautious of copycat writing.  Edit out fluff and phrasing your reader might identify as being from someone else, as best you can.

No comments: