Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Style Guides and Rules of Writing

We embrace innovation.  We encourage new forms of communication.  We love creativity. We self-publish.  Rules are broken...well, not all the rules.

I've been taking a proofreading and copyediting course recently.  I'd like to broaden the work I do in that area.  Nevertheless, the course has reminded me of all the different style guides and style books I need to study.  Rules continue to be made and followed even in these older more established guides, believe it or not.

It can be overwhelming. Nevertheless, I choose to trust I have great English grammar skills and a good sense of writing flow.  It develops when I write.  So write I must.  And from there I'll see what happens.

What style guides do you follow?




No comments: