Saturday, April 27, 2013

WRITE RIGHT

Individuals "write" for a number of reasons. 

  • It's a therapeutic hobby.
  • They need blog posts.
  • They want to create an e-book.
  • They want to write a book.
  • They want to sell articles.

I advise writing with a purpose in mind.  Sometimes it is to make a living.  I sell articles for a living.  That isn't what I'm referring to, though, when I say write with a purpose.  Here are some examples of purpose I have in mind:

  • Your writing will instruct someone.
  • Your writing will inspire someone.
  • Your writing will point customers to your products or services.
  • Your writing will entertain someone.
WRITE RIGHT

Focus on what your reader will gain by reading your writing.  As an example, my hope is as you read this blog, you will gain perspective that will help you hone your writing skills.  It is instructive, but I hope inspiring too. 

Done well, each of the scenarios can become income-producing.  Write in such a way that a would-be buyer will connect with your writing. Give them tips of value. 

Write about what you know.

I write on a variety of topics but try to stick to what I know best.  I have had invitations to write on a host of other topics from technology to solar power, but if these topics require too much research or involve a learning curve, I will never profit.  They will cost me too much time. Plus, I usually feel like a "fake" when I try to tackle things I know little about.

WRITE FROM EXPERIENCE

Instead I try to write on areas I am experienced in. 

Now you might be tempted to think you are only experienced in what you do as your main career.  Each of us, though, has many life experiences worth writing about. 

I have experience as a home buyer, parent, woman shopper, gardener, artist, church goer, car buyer, dog owner...Get the picture?


Writing what you know gives you the unique advantage of knowing an inside angle.  You might know how such an issue can go wrong and write about that.  You might know the right people close to the subject, giving you an insider's viewpoint.

WRITE FOR YOUR READER

When writing from what you know, resist making it about yourself.  One magazine platform I write for doesn't accept first person articles.  Removing myself from the writing has been a helpful exercise.

In one manuscript I'm working I have included first person.  I now find myself deleting large sections in the editing phase.  Some sections have too much information about me. 

Always keep your intended reader in mind and don't just fill their mind with encyclopedic information.  Give them solid takeaways.

Now, be kind enough to comment below.  Let me know if this gave you a takeaway?


No comments: